Saturday, September 18, 2010

Race Prep #1 for CIM 2010 Training

The plan for the group was 15 miles at mgp.  Before the run, we were told to get in as many miles at mgp as possible, ceiling of 15.  I really & truly did not feel I was ready for 15 miles at this type of effort, esp since quality work started a mere 1.5 weeks ago.  To the point, I basically mind fucked myself before the run even started.  Bad as that may sound, I don't think the mind-frame issue is going to be an issue going forward.  More on that shortly.

Here's what went down (I was thinking 630s for the first set & maybe 620s if I was feeling super awesome after that):

Set 1 - 32:23 (635, 628, 624, 636, 620)
Set 2 - 32:17 (632, 624, 623, 627, 629)

So, somewhere in the middle of set 2 I decided I was going to stop at 10 miles.  My quads were feeling whacked & I made up my mind I was not going to force the issue.  I told Larry & Steve I was done; Steve though, told me to get back out there and I think Chris did too.  So I decided to start back up, but quickly changed my mind and went to weakling mode.  Third one turned out pretty ugly:

Set 3 - (724, 635, 730)

FWIW, I only really made an effort to run pace the 2nd mile, so I was able to get back in that zone.  It is just that I had already checked out mentally...

The results may look sorta ugly in print, but I am not too disappointed.  Yes, I would have liked to finish the workout, but we still have 11 weeks before the big race.  I just have to continue to improve, and as things stand, I feel like I am a good position to do that.

About 20 for the day

3 comments:

  1. 11 weeks out, it looks pretty good if u ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect opportunity to tell you what Russ Secker says to himself when his vagina starts to ache... TOUGHEN UP, BUTTERCUP!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be fine. You should prob start picking it up a bit on some of those weekly runs, as long as it is under control.

    ReplyDelete