Friday, October 22, 2010

Groin pains

Hmm, let's see, where to start?  In April of 2009, I hurt my lower abdominal area when running somehow.  It was weird because I did not notice any pain until later that afternoon upon waking from a nap.  I trained through this pain, ran the Boston Marathon, and kept on training after Boston.  This was a mistake, because what started out as mild lower abdominal aches eventually led to groin pain and severe abdominal pain after runs.  The funny thing about this issue is that it would not really bother me during the run, but after the fact, I could not sit up on my own for hours on end.  The next day things would have subsided for the most part and running w/ it was never an issue.  So I kept running.  Meanwhile, I did some reading and pretty much realized that I prob had a mild sports hernia.  Went to the doctor and did some PT, but never really made any progress with regard to healing.  Gave up on PT and I came up w/ my own routine based on what I read.  This seemed to work pretty well.  The aches and pains never completely went away, but were def under control.

That was until about 4 weeks ago:  we did a track workout, and after it, my groin area was on fire.  I really did not think too much of it; my groin has hurt on/off for the last 18 months (no biggie).  And just like usual, it got better for the most part within a couple days.  Last Thursday after our workout, again the groin hurt - this time it was worse, and I hobbled back to BS after our workout.  It did not bother me during the IBM race, but after the race, again, on fire.  This past Tuesday was basically the last straw:  this time I felt things sorta yank out of place in the last couple of mile of the steady run.  Still, I pushed on (deep ingrained don't give in to the pain mentality that was sunk in my head at a early age I suppose).  After we finished, I really wanted to walk it back, but hobbled it in instead.

So that's the run down basically, I was in enough pain on Tues finally realize I need to slow my role.  I have basically rested since then.  I have been focusing on stretching mainly and other activities to loosen my quads, groin, inner hamstrings, and abductors. Oh, and lots of icing.  Icing the inner thigh is the greatest!

Today, I feel much better.  The pain in my groin is pretty much gone, the lower ab pain is mostly gone (or as gone as I can hope for it to be), and the bruising where the groin muscles attach is disappearing.  I jogged for a few minutes at lunch and things seem to be much better.  Tomorrow, I will test things out for real.

Summation:  I have lost some training momentum, but I don't think this issue going to be a show stopper.  At least not if I listen to my damn body and not my crazy mind!

2 comments:

  1. Take it easy Damon. One < 24 mile run is not going to derail your PR^2...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear this. Sounds manageable for the moment though, which is a plus.

    ReplyDelete