Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Dell Streak is pretty cool

About 3.5 weeks ago I ran in the Congress Ave Mile in Austin, TX.  The first 1000 people to register were to receive a Dell beta test product.  That item (which turned out to be a Dell Streak) arrived last Fri.  During the next 4 weeks I am to use the product and provide feedback via surveys.  After the test period concludes, I get to keep the product.  Hmm.

What is the Dell Streak?  I'm not a super duper smart phone techster, but it appears to be a hybrid smart phone/tablet.  Perfect timing, because I had finally decided to acquire such a device (after purposefully resisting the last few years). Obviously, my curiosity has been piqued.

So I have sorta played around w/ the device some over the last few days and have determined:
  • The 5in screen is bad ass
  • AT&T network device
  • Android 1.6 OS (downer cuz I understand there is a newer version)
  • Android 1.6 does not work w/ Flash  :-(
  • The newer Android OS is supposed to be avail later in the year
  • 5 megapixel camera (lots of settings I haven't messed w/ yet)
  • Can take pics on display side too
  • Display side pics aren't very clear (but I have not messed w/ the settings)
  • my existing ATT sim card works in this thing (very nice)
  • Device/OS is super snappy (responds very quickly)
  • Small 2 GB HD (but has 16 GB SD card)
  • The phone works fine, but is a little big
  • It still fits in ur pockets (unless you wear tight/skinny jeans, which means you have "other issues":)
  • Did I mention it is lightning fast?

That's about all I can think of now.  I may have more once I have used the device more.  Two thumbs up for the time being.

 Additional images (fortunately mine is all black):  http://www.engadget.com/photos/dell-slate-secret-hands-on/2593089#2593097

3 comments:

  1. Ha skinny jeans. Can you post pics to the blog using the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picture of the device please :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't appear to be able to add pics, so sad.

    Also, added an image my man

    ReplyDelete