Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Portland 2009 -- In the Books


I have had a chance to think this race over some, and now more than ever, i know i had a sub 3 in me this past Sunday. Still, the only thing that can be said is that I failed to get it done. Plain and simple. The two mistakes I made were blaring, and my performance (or lack-thereof) during miles 19-21 was what has bothered me the most. I'm going to add some additional details regarding each so I can lay these issues to rest for good:

The restroom disaster -- I stopped at the one set of porta-potties that were padlocked (except two) and of course they were occupied. I sorta freaked out once I stopped, and rather than go behind a tree or something, I waited for someone to come out. WTF? I don't know why I waited. Froze up I guess. Now, the worst part is that I really didn't need to go the restroom that bad. I had this come up at Boston and ran for another mile or two and the issue passed. On this day, I stopped. Never will I do this again!

19-21 -- Rewind back to mile 18 (after we crested long hill at the bridge); once I hit this point I decided I was going to push it some. On the big downhill, i looked at my pace and was at like 640 (i think), so I cruised at the same effort until I heard the Garmin beep. I saw 653 or whatever it was and began to feel defeated because I was pushing it and ran a freaking 650. I do not remember the terrain on 19, but don't think it was hilly. I saw 7 min pace and began to freak out...thinking I might blow up. I did not want this obviously. Thus, when I came to mile 20 I made the decision not to push it, contrary to my plan. I just did not feel confident I could close for 6 miles. WhY? Who fucking knows! Anyway, I just sorta coasted during 20 and for most of 21. Looking back, my breathing was fine. My legs did not feel great, but they weren't bad. I just got in a bad place mentally. I have no idea how or why, but about mid-way through 21, I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and give it one last go to see what I had left. Because, shit, I had practiced closing for 4 miles pretty much all summer.

Really, it wasn't entirely all bad. I ran a pretty disciplined race overall. Yes, I made some mistakes, but I will learn from them, and they will make me a better runner in the future. I am extremely happy with how I handled miles 22-the finish. And as noted previously, no one passed me in the latter half of the race.

The next time I toe the line for 26.2, I will break 3 to an extent that there is no doubt about it. Boston here I come!

2 comments:

  1. Great attitude. I do have to say one thing, everybody has been giving you crap about sticking to the plan and not getting carried away and you sure did that in Portland (just like Boston earlier this year) ... that that Porta Pottie break ... that was a cluster :)

    I expect to be battling it out with you in Boston in 6 months. Should be fun getting ready and racing that course again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 301 is nothing to worry about. Still a nice time. Look at it this way. You are injury free and after 2 weeks of easy running and resting you will be ready to start working hard again. You better get ready for Boston!

    ReplyDelete