Thursday, October 22, 2009

Head up

Random sight/thought of the day: I was headed down S. Congress and passed by the middle school w/ the football field/track. As I passed, middle school youngins were engaged in football practice and in the midst of drill. The goings on made me laugh out loud. The kids were doing a drill often referred to as "head up" in the football world. In this drill, two long (usually 4-5 ft) blocking pads are set up about 4-5 feet apart so there is an alley of said width. One group of kids gets on one side and another group faces on the other end. One kid gets a ball and runs directly toward the opposing tackler; the tackler runs full speed toward the ball carrier. The objective? A violent collision. I watched the ball carrier get knocked flat on his ass this afternoon as I passed. This made me laugh because I could relate. When I was in 7th grade, we did this drill once. It sucked. I got knocked on my ass a couple times while trying to make the tackle. :-( Fortunately, we only did that drill one day that year. It was at that time I decided I wanted to play offense. ;-)

Non-running running update -- I went to see a dr today because my abdominal issue persists. I have all the symptoms of a sports hernia, and a couple of knowledgeable folks advised me to get it checked out by a pro. So I did. The doc does not think it is a sports hernia. He believes the issue to be a lower abdominal injury. Which is great news...I think. I am clear to run from his perspective. No hills or speed work for a couple weeks though. Sweet PT for me over the next several weeks. Hopefully a little more rest and PT will nip this puppy in the bud. I am going to rest a few more days and begin the come back on Monday. That's the plan right now. I can't wait to get back at it.

1 comment:

  1. This post made me laugh out loud. Maybe because I also can relate. I recall cutting places in the line to avoid going up against the much larger guys.

    ReplyDelete