Monday, February 15, 2010

9 Weeks out

Nine weeks from today is the 114th running of the Boston Marathon. If all goes to plan, I expect to set a sizable PR. Between now and then, though, there is still much work to be done. Now, don't get me wrong, I fully realize I'm in great shape and well on my way to achieving my goal. But I have realized, for me to achieve said goal, that I need to shorten my view (if you will). One week at a time, I need to be sure that I maximize each Tues, Thurs, & Sat (if applicable) workout. Also, I need to keep my mileage up (in the 70-80 miles per week range). To achieve these short-term goals, I need to be ready mentally and physically for each day. So that's where I am today: tightening my mental focus & doing what's necessary to ensure I'm physically ready for the next day's run/workout.

Easy 9 miles today. No Gremlin. Today I used a strategy a running buddy told me he uses on 'easy' days: "I ran as easy as my legs wanted to go." I interpreted this to mean that there should be no effort whatsoever to push the pace, and I tried flow with whatever felt comfortable to my legs the entire time. New shoes (Brooks Launch) and a good run. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

1 comment: