Sunday, November 7, 2010

Done for the Season

MRI Findings:  severe osteitis pubis (ie, inflammation of the pubic symphysis joint, between the two pubic bones ), stress fractures in each pubic bone - parallel to the pubic symphysis, and a possible labral tear on the left hip.



Clinical Treatment:  3 month break from running; in the interim, I can swim, bike, and lift.

Well, I knew I messed some things up, but had no idea the issues were bone related.  I am glad I went to the doc and got the MRI.  Taking the extended break from running and missing the races suck, but I am happy to know exactly what is wrong and that some R&R should nip this in the bud.  Now there is a chance this thing could take 6-8 months to heal, but I don't think that it is going to play out that way (at least I hope not).  To try to make sure I am on the low end of the recovery time frame, I am not going swim, bike, or do anything to put any additional pressure on my pelvic region for 4 weeks.  If all the aches and pains have gone away come December, I will check out some swimming, biking, and light leg lifts (squats, lunges, etc).  For the time being, though, the only exercises I will do are some light core stuff, upper body weights, calf raises, leg curls/extensions, and lots of stretching/foam rolling.

That's the deal.

2 comments:

  1. Hey I am serious, once you start to heal let me know if u want to go climbing on some weekends. You know it is close to where you work:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you have that, pretty sure that's what I had. It bites. BTW climbing would not be a good idea for a while. The only thing I could do was elliptical for one hour. Keep us posted ; )

    ReplyDelete